Monday, June 22, 2009

Antibiotics vs. Old Fashioned Remedies

Would we still be here, any of us, without antibiotics? As I write this, I'm suffering with a UTI (urinary tract infection) probably brought on by stress of filing taxes, dealing with unemployment and getting ready to return to the university to get more education. (Working was so much easier than this!)

The problem with antibiotics, as I have experienced, is that the old ones we knew were good, are no longer working. The bacteria are smarter these days. They have "morphed" into warriors that are stronger and resistant to the old antibiotics. So, my doctor said I had to try a new one, assuming the old one was not working because testing showed I still had some bacteria. I'll not mention the new antibiotic's name, because I don't want to give anyone the impression that it is bad. But, I had a major allergic reaction, and had I not had a lot of experience with these types of allergic reactions, I would have gone to the emergency room immediately. Throat and tongue were swelling, started into asthma, etc.

Now I have a new prescription and I sit here looking at it wondering if gallons of cranberry juice, the old prescription that I've always taken, and some R & R might not be the best answer. The new drug is $94/7 pills. That is not what scares me. It is the fact that my body rejects just about any antibiotic and if I don't have to take it, I should not take it but rather let my body heal itself with the older antibiotic which I thought was not working, but now I'm willing to wait and see.

Fear of an allergic reaction is a powerful fear, if you have ever experienced one! So...I will take the slow road, for now, and hope I have made the right gamble. Either route for me is a gamble at this point.

Cheers for now!
Dianna

No comments:

Post a Comment