Sunday, October 28, 2012

How to Tell if Your Vitamin D is Low...without Going to the Doctor

Dr. Oz gave us all a great way to self-test for Vitamin D deficiency last week and anyone can do this.  Take your thumb and press it somewhat hard on the center of your breastbone.  If you feel pain, it is a sign that your bones are deficient in Vitamin D.  Vitamin D3 supplements are readily available, and if you are deficient you need to immediately "boost" your levels with between 5,000 to 10,000 I.U. and after taking this amount for a month, check in with your doctor for a blood test so you know your levels.  I find 10,000 I.U. daily just barely put me on the low side of normal, and in 2006 I suffered a clinical deficiency that was misdiagnosed for polymyalgia rheumatica.  It was almost a year of suffering until I went to a different doctor who looked for the root cause of the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment